Joshua Dale Crawford Aug. 26, 1989 - Apr. 21, 2010

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Sleep Punched

Anyone ever been sleep punched? That is to say, punched by someone who is still 100% asleep? I’m not talking about the accidental slap in the face, kicked in the ribs or whatnot that occurs while rolling over, shifting, or whatever it is you do to get comfortable. I’m talking about manifestations of actual anger resulting in a full-out punch, all while sleeping. As funny as it was, it wasn’t funny last night when I got punched for something I didn’t even do. Let me explain.

Yesterday something happened that made Austin request to watch E.T. No, not Entertainment Tonight, the actual movie E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, originally released in 1982. I don’t know what he saw or how he even heard about it, but he really wanted to watch it. Luckily we own it, but unluckily this request began to be repeatedly called in around American Idol time. We’ve dealt with this situation many times before, and the only solution to stop the incessant requests is to let him watch the movie in our room while we watch whatever we want downstairs. Thus sets the stage for why later that night, as Angie and I were preparing for bed, we had a 3 year-old already soundly asleep there.

Knowing he would shortly be moved into his own bed, I decided to climb in next to him and cuddle for a few minutes while Angie continued getting ready. As I did so, Austin totally freaked out, yelled “No Mom! Ugh” and proceeded to punch me square on the chin. Then he rolled over and went back to sleep, or rather that is, continued to sleep, as he never once opened his eyes during this whole episode. He was still absolutely 100% asleep.

Angie was laughing hysterically, and after a few moments of complete shock and amazement, I too joined in the laughter. I don’t know what she did to deserve to be punched, but whatever it was, it must have been serious. A few minutes later she scooped him up and deposited him into his own bed without further incident. Why I should be the recipient of the punishment clearly earned by Mom’s actions is beyond me. Whatever the reason, we got a good laugh out of it, which, I suppose, is perhaps the most important thing really.

3 comments:

Julianna said...

That is so stinking hilarious! I'm trying not to burst out laughing here at work!!

MyR said...

HA HA! Watch out for Angie...she hits harder!

Boydston Family said...

that is a funny story!! love your page, your boys are so cute. great to hear from you. i love blogging it allows to keep in touch with past friends.