Joshua Dale Crawford Aug. 26, 1989 - Apr. 21, 2010

Friday, May 16, 2008

Ready, Set, Stimulate the Economy

So we received our stimulus payment via direct deposit last Friday. However, despite the urging of several well-intentioned advice givers, we’ve not yet run out and blown our allotment. In fact, we haven’t spent a single dime of it and it still remains untouched in our account. As much as we’d like to keep it that way, as new homeowners we do have some pressing needs that need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

And so it is that I find myself researching lawn mowers and weed-wackers online in preparation for what is sure to be a painful shopping experience this weekend. Though most of our yard is covered in moss which smothers any grass growth, nevertheless, we have several areas of our yard that are in desperate need of a good mowing/weed-wacking. So much so that our neighbor has even graciously offered us the use of her mower so we could get the job done. Not to worry, we got the hint loud and clear.

I can’t help but to wander back into the recesses of my mind to a time about 20 years ago when I, as a little kid, along with the rest of my family (Dad, Mom, big sister, and little brother) would all tackle the yard work together. Dad would come home from work and set about mowing the lawn. Mom would follow behind raking the clippings (no automatic baggers back then). And the 3 kids would bring up the rear loading the clippings into the wagon and hauling it off to the vacant lot across the street. I remember it being a lot of hard work on hot summer nights. I remember thinking that the work would never end, that our yard was just too big, it would take forever to complete! What I wouldn’t give now for a yard that size for my boys to play in. And the best part? After we were all finished, each of us received our eagerly anticipated compensation of …wait for it…$0.25. Oh how we coveted those big bright quarters. At that age you could do anything in the world with a quarter. Mine usually went for baseball cards or stickers for my Thundercats sticker book, seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkPnBRwD66Q.

Now it’s my turn to be the Dad and run the big lawn mower. But first we have to go get one.

4 comments:

Julianna said...

Ours is still sitting in our account too. I think we might pay off a credit card. I would much rather stimulate the economy with a mad shopping trip, but I'm going to be responsible and pay debt. Boo.

Jeff Corry said...

Jason,
SPEND THE MONEY.
Or save it...
You have a good sense of humor on the blog. I uh...still need to post again. It's a slow conversion process. Line upon line...
Oh. We spent most of our money. New computer. Go figure. Just doing my duty as a responsible citizen...
Maybe if we owned a home it would be different. Ha.

De said...

I was going to save my money for a possible trip to Vegas in the fall but the Alpine Animal Hospital got all of mine and then some. I guess my money will stimulate the Vets economy.

Becky said...

I keep telling Tyson it's our obligation to spend it, it was MEANT to stimulate our economy! Good luck with the yard and all - you are a responsible adult now. Crazy.