Joshua Dale Crawford Aug. 26, 1989 - Apr. 21, 2010

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Grilled Oysters...Yum!

I did it. I actually ate one of these things. It looked not much different than this one, except it was lying in a pool of butter. Here’s how it went down (literally and figuratively).

This past weekend was our Ward picnic. We went last year and had a great time, plus, in addition to the typical hot dogs and hamburgers, they always have plenty of salmon on the menu. Can’t beat that! Well, this year someone also decided to pick up a few dozen oysters. I stayed with the boys while Angie went through the line to get them some food. I then stayed with the boys and instructed Angie to get herself some food, after which I had plans to then get myself something. Well, she came back with two heaping platefuls of food. One plate with salads for us to share and one with burgers, salmon, and this huge oyster sitting in its shell right on top.

She decided that since I am generally a fan of trying new foods, I would most certainly want to try a grilled oyster. I must admit, it is true that I enjoy trying new foods, however, I can honestly say I’ve never been tempted to even nibble on an oyster.

I watched another gentleman in our ward scoop up his oyster with his fingers and slide the entire thing into his mouth. I watched a missionary try to nibble at it and unsuccessfully quit after one little bite. If I was going to do this, I was going to go all the way. Why eat one little bite? You get all the taste, but no satisfaction in saying you were able to eat it. I psyched myself up, grabbed it with my hand and plopped the whole thing in my mouth.

It was much too big to swallow so there was definitely some chewing involved. And much to my surprise it was actually pretty good. I wouldn’t say it was fantastic, and I didn’t rush over to grab a bunch more, but it did have some pretty good flavor (see pool of butter reference above) and the texture wasn’t at all a problem. I would more than likely venture out and try another one sometime, perhaps next year’s Ward picnic.

1 comment:

Julianna said...

Good for you!! I had my first oysters just a few weeks ago in Tacoma!!! They were raw and I loved them! I would for sure eat them again!