Joshua Dale Crawford Aug. 26, 1989 - Apr. 21, 2010

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wanted: Law Abiding Bicyclists

My co-worker Diana really got me riled up today. Not with anything work related. You see, she’s a very diligent “blogger” (is that an adjective now?) and her latest post was about some vigilante bicyclists here in Seattle. Here’s what she had to say:

“Yesterday a group of 100 bicyclists - called Critical Mass - were doing their monthly demonstration - they ride in a large group and block off cars to try and make a point that we should share the road. They blocked one driver from being able to pull out of a parking spot - he got nervous as he was surrounded - he nudged his car forward bumping into some of the cyclists - they in turn surrounded his car - banging on it - and ended up smashing the rear window, punching the driver through his open window, and slashing all 4 of the tires.”

Just last night I saw this same story on the news and I went on my own little rant to Angie about the bicyclists I’ve seen here in the Seattle area. It is my opinion that they (the bicyclists) themselves are the cause of most of their troubles. I am not exagerating when I say that 75% of the bicyclists I have seen in the Seattle area do NOT obey the traffic laws when riding. Yet the whole point of their "Critical Mass" protest is to make drivers aware of them and to get us to "share the road." Just this week I have seen bicyclists weaving in and out of traffic at their pleasure, riding between cars stopped at a traffic light so as to work their way to the front of the line, coming to a complete stop IN the bus lane and refusing to move when a bus comes along that needs to get through, running red lights, riding on the sidewalks when they otherwise would have to stop at a red light on the street...I really could go on and on. Bikers demand respect on the road, but I contend that they'll never get it until they start giving it.

Also, just a little note about their little “Critical Mass” rides. Their route has on a couple of occasions taken them right past my bus stop. I must say that the spirit that infuses these “bikers” while on their demonstration is quite hostile. It does not surprise me at all the way they all rallied together to attack the man in the car, causing extensive auto damage and personal injury. As they ride down the road, completely shutting down traffic, they spew forth loud-mouthed obscenities at people on the street watching them go by. Mind you, there are no cars in sight because they’ve blocked them all from getting on the streets. So they’re out there yelling and screaming at people who are waiting to take the bus. How much sense does that make?

In my opinion, these bicyclists at Critical Mass are out there looking for a fight, and when someone gives it to them they immediately turn into the poor downtrodden outcasts of society just trying to make the world a better place and just look at how the rest of of the world treats them. Poor, poor bicyclists, boo hoo.

As John Stossel says, “Gimme a Break!”

1 comment:

De said...

I agree with you! I didn't have room to add that to my Blog last night. I get so tired of the cyclists who are vehicles when the lights are green and then when it turns red they are suddenly a pedestrian!! They bring this on themselves.