Joshua Dale Crawford Aug. 26, 1989 - Apr. 21, 2010

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pushing 30


Angie and I both teach on Sundays. She teaches the Mia Maids and I teach the Teachers, so we both have the 14-15 year-olds. Last Sunday evening I was standing at the sink doing the dishes (shocker I know) and Angie tells me that she talked to her girls about me today and hoped that was okay with me.
“Well that depends,” I replied. “What did you tell them?”
She proceeds to tell me that her lesson was about influences in your life. How certain people, situations, and things can influence your thoughts, actions, and behavior. She used me as an example of how music can influence your actions.
You see, fairly early on in our marriage (and probably even before we were married to tell the truth), Angie became quite aware that when it comes to manual labor, I’m virtually no help whatsoever. I am simply terrible at manual labor. I openly admit this and it doesn’t bother me in the least bit. The way I see it, there’s a big difference between being a hard worker and being good at manual labor. I am quite dedicated to my job and my career and put in a lot of hours at work, but the fact is, I’m an accountant. That’s what I do. Manual labor is simply not one of my strong suits.
Anyway, back to the point. Angie knows and understands this about me, but she also has a secret weapon to use against me. The one thing that can and often does turn me into a manual labor working machine is listening to Metallica. For some reason, that music just gets me into a good rhythm and allows me to keep working for hours on end.
Back to the church lesson. Angie told the girls that when she has a project involving manual labor that she wants me to tackle, she sets the task before me, puts on my Metallica CD’s and leaves me be. That music totally has an effect on me, and, bad as it may be (the music that is, at least spiritually speaking), I’ve learned to channel that into getting work done, which, all things considered, is typically a very good thing.
So Angie’s telling me that she shared this with the girls, and I’m thinking, okay, no big deal. But that’s not where the story ends. She told them that she puts on my Metallica CD’s and that helps me to work hard and get the job done. She then proceeds to tell me that their stunned faces and silence clearly indicated they had no clue who Metallica is. One girl asks, “Who’s Metallica?” Another girl quickly adds “Oh that’s like really old rock music.”
OUCH!!!

6 comments:

MyR said...

ah ah ha ha ha!

De said...

I just got caught up on your blog! Austin just cracks me up. I am sure Leschel did cute things too but I can't seem to remember all of them. This blog is great because you'll be able to look back and remember them - not to mention sharing them with any of the girls he starts dating!

Unknown said...

lol... I totally understand! But I do have to say I remember one evening that we called you, pretty late too, and said we needed help moving out of one rental into another, and I can honestly say it took us less than one hour to move an entire household... Thanks again for that! We'll never forget it...

Crawfords said...

Carrie, that was such a great night! Well it was for us anyway. I'm sure it wasn't much fun for you guys having to deal with the first landlord and all. But all things considered I think things turned out fairly well. It was definitely the fastest move I've ever been a part of. Thanks for the memory!

Julianna said...

Hahhahahahaha!!! I thought she was going to say she put on your Metallica TAPE!

Kais said...

Jason, you just got a good, deep belly laugh out of me sitting alone in front of my computer. :) Great post. I thoroughly enjoyed that.