Joshua Dale Crawford Aug. 26, 1989 - Apr. 21, 2010

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Devious Mind of a 3 Year-Old

This is a story I’ve been sitting on for a few days, as I just haven’t had time to write it up. Perhaps a week or so ago the boys were both having a really hard night. Neither wanted to go to bed in their own bed. Austin was crying and pleading to sleep in Mom and Dad’s bed, while Luke didn’t want to go to bed at all. Both of them just too tired to sit still and pass out for the night.

I had put Luke to bed (and placed him back into bed) several times already that night. Jason had gone in and had a talk with Austin to get him calmed down. Yet Luke still was crying and getting up right after I’d walk away.

After 5 or 6 trips into their room, Austin, finally being calmed down, said to me, “I don’t know why Lukie keeps getting out of bed. I try to get him to stop crying and stay in bed, but he just won’t do it.”

“Oh, are you trying to help get Lukie to bed?” I inquired.

“I sure am!” came the excited reply.

“Thank you so much Austin. You are such a good big brother” I told him.

Finally, I got Luke down again, not asleep, but at least laying down in his bed. I walked away yet again, and immediately the crying began again. This time, however, I just snuck out into hallway, I didn’t actually leave. This is what I heard:

“Lukie. Lukie. Go find Mommy. Go find Mommy, Lukie. Get out of bed and go find Mommy.”

Sure enough, then comes the pitter patter of little feet as Luke ventures out into the hallway to find me. I was laughing too hard to be mad at either of them. Finally I gave in and laid down with both of them until they fell asleep. The little stinkers totally conned me, and I totally fell for it. Clearly I’m no match for my 3 year-old and 1 year-old.

2 comments:

MyR said...

You are WEAK!!! I'm a mean mom if you cave that easy! :)

Erin S. said...

Hi angie, it's Erin Schlosser...I think Jason sent Christian your blog a little while ago, and I've been lurking ever since. That's a funny story! I added you to my blog roll if that's alright!